[Snort-users] AANVAL or MYSQL question

Y M snort at ...15979...
Thu Apr 24 07:55:41 EDT 2014

>Snort packet processing is still single thread, but it also has other threads such as reload thread, control socket thread etc. The reload thread should be idle majority of the time.  If >you suspected it is restarting, you will not see any message like “snort reloaded…”. You will see “snort initializing “ or “restart” in the messages.
Thanks Hui. That pretty much explains it. Is there a way to tell which thread belongs to which Snort thread?
YM

From: huica at ...589...
To: snort at ...15979...; wkitty42 at ...14940...; sgierczak at ...16714...
CC: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] AANVAL or MYSQL question
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:03:07 +0000

Snort packet processing is still single thread, but it also has other threads such as reload thread, control socket thread etc. The reload thread should be idle majority of the time.  If you suspected it is restarting, you will not see any message like
 “snort reloaded…”. You will see “snort initializing “ or “restart” in the messages.

Best,
Hui.

From: Y M <snort at ...15979...>

Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM

To: waldo kitty <wkitty42 at ...14940...>, "Gierczak, Stan" <sgierczak at ...16821...4...>

Cc: snort-users <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

> @YM: maybe these are two threads of the same process? i see similar on my own

> systems... three of them if i compile with the reload capability...

Isn't Snort single-threaded? I wouldn't imagine it will be creating another "thread" other than its own. On systems i look for there is only one process on every system I checked. May be OS specific? not likely?

I forgot to mentions that my systems are also compiled with reload. Which brings the question of if the Snort has been reloaded (not restarted) on these systems or these processes are showing up after a clean reboot?

YM

From: snort at ...15979...

To: wkitty42 at ...14940...;
sgierczak at ...16714...

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:13:32 +0000

CC: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

> @YM: maybe these are two threads of the same process? i see similar on my own

> systems... three of them if i compile with the reload capability...

Isn't Snort single-threaded? I wouldn't imagine it will be creating another "thread" other than its own. On systems i look for there is only one process on every system I checked. May be OS specific? not likely?

YM

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:49:37 -0400

> From: wkitty42 at ...14940...

> To: SGierczak at ...16714...;
snort at ...15979...;
snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Start Your Social Network Today - Download eXo Platform Build your Enterprise Intranet with eXo Platform Software Java Based Open Source Intranet - Social, Extensible, Cloud Ready
http://p.sf.net/sfu/ExoPlatform