[Snort-users] Why so many default disabled rules?

Y M snort at ...15979...
Thu Apr 17 12:00:31 EDT 2014

I have sent this before and here it is again:

http://blog.snort.org/2013/10/snort-vrt-default-ruleset-rebalancing.html

Ultimately, the rules should be tailored/customized based on your network, systems, and whatever you are trying to protect. Not the VRT nor anyone except YOU would know what rules should be enabled, because these are applied to your environment and not just blindly enabled for everybody. For example, I do not worry about SCADA rules, so I do not want them enable by default, but if becomes of my interest, I can go ahead and enable it because a new SCADA device may have been introduced to the network.

Hope this helps.
YM

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:51:01 +0800
From: teo.en.ming at ...11827...
To: kkurzawa at ...16800...
CC: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Why so many default disabled rules?

Dear Kevin,

I have raised the same question before.

Teo En Ming

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Kurzawa, Kevin <kkurzawa at ...16800...> wrote:

I am curious as to why the Snort rules ship with so many of them disabled/commented out by default.
 It seems the default set is ~4,000. But if using the option to enable /all/ rules in Oinkmaster it comes out with ~20,000. I get Registered User Release rules, not the Subscriber Release rules.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech

Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

Snort-users list archive:

Snort-users list archive: