[Snort-users] How to stop snort to log startup messages into syslog?

Jeremy Hoel jthoel at ...11827...
Tue Apr 15 13:22:59 EDT 2014

But that option is just for it's alerting output right? Not the
startup/shutdown messages (of which there are more then a few).  I
commented out the output line (output alert_syslog: LOG_LOCAL6 LOG_ALERT)
in my snort.conf and I still see the startup/shutdown messages.

For the OP - Security Onion does this (negates the messages in syslog) and
it does it by starting snort differently. I'm trying to find the thread
that talked about it.