[Snort-users] I have written a Linux shell script to detect missing rule files in your /etc/snort/snort.conf!

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Sat Apr 12 20:24:08 EDT 2014

On 4/12/2014 2:37 AM, Teo En Ming wrote:
> You still need a program to check if the rule files in /etc/snort/rules are
> missing in the include statements in /etc/snort/snort.conf.
>
> Here is the output from my Linux shell script:
>
> [root at ...274... teo-en-ming]# ./detect-missing-snort-rule-files.sh
> black_list.rules not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

this one is for the reputation processor... it does not contain rules... only IP
addresses...

> deleted.rules not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

all of these are commented out because they have been removed for various reasons...

> VRT-License.txt not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

this is not a rule file!

> white_list.rules not included in /etc/snort/snort.conf!

this one goes with black_list.rules above... it, also, does not contain any
rules... only IP addresses...

while your idea and script are good, blindly including all rules files is not a
good thing to do...