[Snort-users] Heartbleed Rule

Thu Apr 10 18:39:14 EDT 2014

Any reason these rules are $EXTERNAL_NET -> $HOME_NET ?  Lot’s of false positives otherwise, performance, or something else?

I was hoping to use them to detect potential internal network heartbleed attacks, but would have to re-write them to do that (never ideal).

Thanks
Shawn

From: Joel Esler (jesler) [mailto:jesler at ...589...]
Sent: April 09, 2014 3:55 AM
To: Nicholas Bogart
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Heartbleed Rule

Nick,

Might want to review the latest post on http://vrt-blog.snort.org.

--
Joel Esler
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 9, 2014, at 4:46, "Nicholas Bogart" <nickybzoss at ...11827...<mailto:nickybzoss at ...11827...>> wrote:
Boss asked me about creating a rule for the OpenSSL Heartbleed.  I asked him why not just go update all the servers.  He just stared at me.  So I am submitting to the community for review and comment the rule I drew up on this proof-of-concept exploit for the heartbleed vulnerability.
Exploit - https://gist.github.com/takeshixx/10107280
CVE - https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-0160
Heartbleed References -
http://threatpost.com/seriousness-of-openssl-heartbleed-bug-sets-in/105309
https://threatpost.com/openssl-fixes-tls-vulnerability/105300
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 443 (msg:"Attempted Heartbleed access exploitation for OpenSSL 1.0.1f and lower"; flow: to_server; content:"| 18 03 02 00 03 01 40 00 |"; reference:cve, CVE-2014-0160;)

NickyB