[Snort-users] Preprocessor :: HTTP Inspect

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at ...589...
Wed Apr 9 13:49:52 EDT 2014

Tom,

Can we also strip the language out of the README at the same time?

Thanks.

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager

On Apr 9, 2014, at 1:42 PM, Tom Peters (thopeter) <thopeter at ...589...<mailto:thopeter at ...589...>> wrote:

Chinmay,

I remember reading that paragraph in the manual when I started working here.

It is a legacy and you would do well just to forget it. Once upon a time it was true. HTTP Inspect included "stateless" and "stateful" processing, except that the latter was actually nothing but lengthy hooks for an unimplemented feature. Hence the paragraph.

Snort went a different direction a long time ago. Protocol Aware Flushing (PAF) was developed and HTTP was integrated with streams and TCP processing. Modern HTTP Inspect has many session-aware features.

By strange coincidence a colleague of mine removed the old "stateful" hooks from the source code last week. They will be gone in a future open source release.

Tom