[Snort-users] Preprocessor :: HTTP Inspect

Chinmay Mahata chinmay_mahata at ...3390...
Wed Apr 9 05:03:31 EDT 2014

Hi All,
   I have a query regarding preprocessor http_inspect.

In snort doc directory the file README.http_inspect says:

"The current version of HTTP Inspect only handles stateless processing.  This
means that HTTP Inspect looks for HTTP fields on a packet-by-packet basis, and
will be fooled if packets are not reassembled.  This works fine when there is
another module handling the reassembly, but there are limitations in analyzing
the protocol.  Future versions will have a stateful processing mode which will
hook into various reassembly modules."

We are getting this overview for all snort releases from 2.9.0.5 to 2.9.6.0.

So, in which future version of snort we can expect to get "stateful processing" after reassembling (and uncompressing) http packets in http_inspect preprocessor or is it already there ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
--Chinmay