[Snort-users] Help! I bricked my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 router after flashing it to OpenWRT firmware

Teo En Ming teo.en.ming at ...11827...
Sat Apr 5 04:57:13 EDT 2014

Dear Bill/William Parker,

I listened to your advice to flash my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 router to
OpenWRT firmware and the router bricked!

I followed the flashing instructions from the following 2 pages:

(1) http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300nh2#flash.procedure

(2)
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h#migrate.from.dd-wrt.to.openwrt

The firmware flashing instructions that I followed are:

1. Enable SSH on the router

2. Login to the router via SSH

3. Change directory to /tmp and download OpenWrt firmware image file:

cd /tmp

wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh2-squashfs-tftp.bin

4. Overwrite current firmware with the downloaded one:

mtd -r write openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh2-squashfs-tftp.bin linux

After migrating from dd-wrt firmware to OpenWRT firmware, the router
bricked and the red LED light keeps flashing on and off.

What can I do? I cannot RMA/return the Buffalo router because it is user fault.

Sob sob. I wasted my SGD$109. Sob sob Sob.

Regards,

Teo En Ming