[Snort-users] [sonrt-user]About rule options

Russ Combs rcombs at ...1935...
Thu Sep 26 09:10:26 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Mayur Patil <ram.nath241089 at ...11827...>wrote:

> Hello Joel Sir,
>
>     I have looked for your solution but when I am generating rules by
> parsing through rule generator I am getting error.
>
>     I want to use count, seconds to detect DoS Attack
>
>     As the following example parses effectively
>
>    alert tcp 10.1.1.4 any -> 10.1.1.1 any (msg:"RAM";
> content:"TAGMYPACKETS"; classtype:attempted-dos;
> flow:to_server,established; sid:100001;
>     rev:1; )
>
>     but if I add count,seconds it does not work. I also tried with *tag*option
>
>    alert tcp 10.1.1.4 any -> 10.1.1.1 any (msg:"RAM";
> content:"TAGMYPACKETS"; classtype:attempted-dos;
> flow:to_server,established; sid:100001;
>     rev:1; count:50; seconds:1)

Those aren't valid rule options.  If you want to use them in a rule to
determine when the rule fires, use detection_filter.  If you want to use
them to change the rule action, use rate_filter.  And if you want to use
them to limit logging, use event_filter.  Only detection_filter can be used
in a rule.  rate_filter and event_filter are applied after the rule fires
and therefore are specified separately.