[Snort-users] Question about SO Rule 3:21355

Jeremy Hoel jthoel at ...11827...
Thu Sep 5 11:02:52 EDT 2013

Patrick, thank you for the reminder.. we have source! I keep
forgetting to go there and look for answers. Thanks for the quick
response and overview. Mental note to self..

So, to provide more information:

1 - Before yesterday, we had never gotten this alert before, ever.
2 - As of this morning we have about 120 alerts for this signature
(1:21355). At first it was just 5 DC's that had been providing DNS at
some offices (out of 40+). It was limited to just NYT domains. This
morning we see more events from some other domains and one more site.
3 - We (as far as I get from the operation Team) hadn't changed our
DNS settings.  Our DC's send requests up to 4 central DC's and those 4
do caching and send new requests out to a parent domain that should
provide the info. What we are seeing is that for the NYT domains, the
4 local DC"s gave server failure errors and then the originating DC
made the DNS request directly to NYTs for the answer.  We still are
trying to figure out how the DC got the IP for the NYT server, since
it isn't supposed to be doing root lookup or have root hints.
4 - Oddly enough, after the DNS request came back, for the next two
hours, no one sent any traffic to the returned IP address.  So if a
client was asking to go to www.nyt, after it got the answer, it never
went.  I need to see about these new domains today to see if that
still holds true.
5 - If we where under attack, the source of the replies should be
different from the requested domain right? I mean, in this case, the
IP of the reply was from the NYT block of IP space, and the new alerts
this morning are from different IPs and my guess is they will be from
the requested domains.
6 - I asked my ops people to make sure the servers are patched and
while they think it is, they are going to get back to me.