[Snort-users] Using snort in an PCI DSS environment

elof at ...6680... elof at ...6680...
Wed Nov 20 11:34:30 EST 2013

Thanks, John.

As I suspected then.
Damn those loose definitions.

If I enable the sensitive data masking option, that is an Action of mine
to try to prevent clear text card numbers to be stored, however I know the
action has no effect at all to what I was describing.
The question is:
How long and deep must I protect myself against clear text passwords from
accidentally being logged before the QSA approve?

In the LAN where I'm sniffing, no clear text card numbers should exist in
the first place, so the whole discussion is kind of messed up.
I find it hard to protect myself from any kind of what-if-scenarios. What
if the traffic isn't encrypted so there are plain text card numbers? What
if a rule matches a packet, and this packet just happen to also have a
card number in clear text in it?

So what was you solution? Did you encrypt the snort logs or did the
QSA accept that everything was encrypted over the LAN?

(
Sure, building a pre-preprocessor that anonymizes all possible card
numbers in all frames in all protocols will keep me in the clear from PCI
compliance demands, but performance-wise it would be really bad for the
sensor. Not to mention that such anonymization could modify random data that
just happen to match the Luhn algorithm and thereby cripple the ordinary
IDS detection.
)

/Elof