[Snort-users] Barnyard2 reports database insert errors

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Tue Nov 5 14:51:18 EST 2013

On 11/5/2013 11:56 AM, Dave Corsello wrote:

>>> can't think of anything that could be killing mysqld.  Do you have anything
>>> specific in mind?
>> i don't know what they might have been thinking about but many systems are
>> running in a VM and the VM OS is killing processes when memory get too low...
>> this could be one place where mysqld is being killed and then later restarted
>> when memory consumption is less...
>>
> Waldo, the host has plenty of excess RAM, and my overall memory
> consumption is very low.  So, I doubt that this is happening.  Even so,
> I did research a day or so ago on how to prevent memory from being
> reassigned, and based on what I found, I reserved memory for this VM.
> If I'm not mistaken, this should make what you're describing even less
> likely.  I still got insert errors after reserving RAM.

i understand... the option i'm thinking of is not a VM setting... it is
something in the OS... i don't know or remember what it was but we have seen it
in this list a few times before... i wish i could give more info but my searches
thru my list archives aren't turning up anything :?