[Snort-users] Errors installing SNORT 2.9 to SuSE Linux 12.2 - rpm or tar.gz

Kurt Jensen CISSP kjensencissp at ...11827...
Fri Mar 22 17:35:17 EDT 2013

Hello Group,

I have been attempting to install the latest rpm OR .tar.gz of SNORT to my
fairly plain test instance of SuSE 12.2 I use for student work and testing
of what I know, other tools etc.  The system is an i386 32bit Toshiba laptop
booting directly into SuSE 12.2, and the trouble is with Snort installation.

Here is what is happening that I could definitely use help with:

While in the case of the .tar.gz version the "configure phase" worked fine
once I had all the pre-install required dependency connected libraries and
packages, and finished as far as I can tell w/o errors.  Yet when I try to
run make it refers to a number of directories it enters and exits with an
error saying for example "there is nothing to do for all" and then "make[5]
there is no rule to build" etc.  I have been researching this a lot and come
up with no direct answers.  My GUESS is it is looking for a rule package but
I have not been able to find a free one yet to download if that is the
problem. I am a student on this and do not wish to buy any rules, I can just
use the most basic ones out there as I get started and was surprised to find
it seems none are included to start out with and finish an install?

"rpm" method:  When I downloaded and tried installing the rpm version
instead using SuSE YaST software manager/install tool (GUI) the process
begins but always errors out saying it failed/cannot complete with the error
"nothing provides libcrypto.so.10" but my SUSE install has SSH and several
GNU and/or other crypto libraries I just added (with source/development
libraries) yet none of these work?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and what am I missing?

Lars Jensen