[Snort-users] Hardware Requirement for Snort NIDS/NIPS Engine

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Mon Mar 18 10:04:09 EDT 2013

On Mar 18, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at ...11827...> wrote:

> Can someone please suggest hardware requirements for Snort NIDS/NIPS Engine specifically CPU cycles, Storage space and Memory size and also any RAID Level to be configured if there are multiple hard disk device attached to the server.

This depends on how many rules you are running, if Snort is configured to be ran in multi-core mode, how much traffic you have passing the system, size of packets that is in the traffic.  As far as RAID, that's up to you.

> Also help me about the number of network NIC port requirement which needs to be set in promiscuous mode.

Depends on how many links you are trying to sniff.  I generally recommend one port for management, and then one port for each port in promiscuous mode.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT