[Snort-users] Snort distributions

Jaime Nebrera jnebrera at ...13472...
Thu Mar 7 03:20:54 EST 2013

   Hi Livio,

   I think I have been very careful not to promote any "commercial" side
of redBorder in the list.

   Actually, we have always stated redBorder is open source and freely
downloadable for registered users. Even more, pay users get the same
functionalities, thus there is no "open core" or something like that. We
dont promote freeware nor limited versions either. We actually convinced
our main sponsor to do it this way (and dont think it was an easy task)

   Provably was my fault to name Snorby Cloud, as they dont release the
code, they do have a "free" service but is more freeware like that open.
Thus, my apologies. I just tried to name a bunch of them and you are
right on that respect

   Regarding Geo IP protection, I answered that email from my mobile and
was a short answer. At the same time, when I say this is available in
redBorder, I mean is available in the community version of redBorder,
thus is open sourced, and free. In this particular case, we made the
announcement of our publication of the code in Github
(https://github.com/redBorder/) in the snort lists, thus I understood it
was a known fact. We even sent the code in advance to Sourcefire crew to
try to get it included by default. So if this was not clear enough or it
seemed as I was promoting "commercial" or "pay" services, please
apologize but again believe is not the case.

   I apologize also for not stating in all my replies that I develop /
promote redBorder. I try my best, I even changed the email account I
used in the list since I was a student but some times I forget. As I was
not naming redBorder alone but a list of them i didnt consider necessary
but I will do further on

PS.- My company develops redBorder :D