[Snort-users] New install questions.

Sallee, Stephen (Jake) Jake.Sallee at ...15646...
Wed Mar 6 19:46:39 EST 2013

>> Jake, I would argue the opposite.

Greg, you make an excellent point.  A honeypot server would be a better solution for outside the FW. Pair that with the IDS internally and I may just have a good working theory.... Thank you!

Jake Sallee
Godfather of Bandwidth
System Engineer
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
900 College St.
Belton TX. 76513
Fone: 254-295-4658
Phax: 254-295-4221
HTTP://WWW.UMHB.EDU

From: Greg Williams [mailto:gwillia5 at ...15920...]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 6:14 PM
To: Sallee, Stephen (Jake); snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] New install questions.

Jake, I would argue the opposite.  Your firewall is there for a reason.  If you are bombarded with seeing on what is happening on the outside of your perimeter you may miss something that did make it past your firewall.  I might suggest a honeypot outside your firewall to see who is banging on your perimeter.  Block the IPs that come from that.  Sounds like you are almost the same size as we are.  Typically ~400-600Mbps of traffic.  I use SO for my home network.  It's a great tool.

Greg Williams
IT Security Principal
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs