[Snort-users] Snort doesn't write unified2 files as expected

Avery Rozar Avery.Rozar at ...16118...
Fri Mar 1 14:03:01 EST 2013

what is your out put of

ps -ef | grep snort

________________________________
From: Mario Lupino [mario_e.9 at ...16117...]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 1:14 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort doesn't write unified2 files as expected

Hi,

I've installed Snort on Ubuntu 12.04 using this guide: http://polaris.umuc.edu/~sgantz/Install.html

and I can't seem to get Snort to write .u2 files. None of the solutions I've come across online have fixed this problem.

I have the following line in my snort.conf:

output unified2: filename snort.u2, limit 128

I launch Snort with the following command:

snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

And Snort writes snort.log files written in PCAP instead.

Also another thing to note, even after I make direct changes to the snort.conf file it seems that when I run Snort the changes aren't taking affect. For example, I comment out the 'config logdir: /var/log/snort' line in snort.conf but when I run Snort log files (albeit pcap ones) are still outputted to the /var/log/snort directory.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks