[Snort-users] Poor performance with Snort 2.9.4.6 under OpenBSD 5.3

Markus Lude markus.lude at ...348...
Thu Jun 20 16:29:19 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 11:38:01PM -0400, Joel Esler wrote:
> Package maintainers would benefit everyone by submitting their
> packages upstream.  For years, our recommendation was to build, the
> packages were so far behind.

submitting packages may make sense for linux. I don't see any benefit
why they should be available in different places than other packages.

Speaking of far behind: the only OpenBSD release for which the so_rules
from VRT come precomiled is one which isn't supported for more than 2
years now.

> Keeping the package maintainers up to date has helped a bit  I see
> things being updated more.

IMO things that would help:
- support snort releases for at least 6 months, better 9 or 12? With
  support I mean make up-to-date rules available for them.
  As mentioned above you see how hard it is for you to keep up even
  with releases each 6 months.
- help maintainers to get their packages tested. Test reports are rare.
  At least there aren't those different output plugins / backend any
  more to test. That was quite a lot, especially with multiple archs.

Regards,
Markus