[Snort-users] Poor performance with Snort 2.9.4.6 under OpenBSD 5.3

Markus Lude markus.lude at ...348...
Wed Jun 19 18:00:53 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 05:40:39PM -0400, Joel Esler wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Markus Lude <markus.lude at ...348...> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 08:04:55PM +0000, Andy Nguyen wrote:
> >> I have the same problem with snort 2.9.4.5 and Openbsd 5.2 i386.
> >
> > What keeps you from running a newer release? Why not use packages, or if
> > they are a bit outdated, help test updates? Most, if not all problems
> > you face may have already dealt with.
> >
> > Maybe Joel will finally stop pushing people to build snort themselves,
>
> Not until packages are maintained.  We can't do them all.

I didn't ask that you do the builds. I ask you to stop recommending
building from source on the lists again and again. Maybe you should
start thinking about the drawbacks of this.

Maintainers can't test all. We need others to test too.

> > especially if they use "howtos" like the one on the snort home page,
> > which includes horrible advice and as I already stated some time ago
> > should better be removed, at least the one about OpenBSD.
>
> I'm always looking for contributions.  If something is wrong, either
> contact the author to correct it, or write a better one.  They are
> written by volunteers that dedicate their time to helping people.

I had written a far better one in my last post.
You should look through the contributions. Misguiding howtos with really
horrible advices help noone. Some may good, but at least a few I read
are awful.

> Always a good use of time.

Sometimes. But sometimes not and most often they are simply out of date.

People building from the plain snort tar ball won't get fixes until you
put out a new version. Even if fixes are known and available. Maybe
package maintainers already include them?

Regards,
Markus