[Snort-users] Poor performance with Snort 2.9.4.6 under OpenBSD 5.3

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Wed Jun 19 17:40:39 EDT 2013

On Jun 19, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Markus Lude <markus.lude at ...348...> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 08:04:55PM +0000, Andy Nguyen wrote:
>> I have the same problem with snort 2.9.4.5 and Openbsd 5.2 i386.
>
> What keeps you from running a newer release? Why not use packages, or if
> they are a bit outdated, help test updates? Most, if not all problems
> you face may have already dealt with.
>
> Maybe Joel will finally stop pushing people to build snort themselves,

Not until packages are maintained.  We can't do them all.

> especially if they use "howtos" like the one on the snort home page,
> which includes horrible advice and as I already stated some time ago
> should better be removed, at least the one about OpenBSD.

I'm always looking for contributions.  If something is wrong, either contact the author to correct it, or write a better one.  They are written by volunteers that dedicate their time to helping people.

Always a good use of time.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT