[Snort-users] Barnyard2 Runaway Process, Not Working on OS X

Steven Thomas Smith steve.t.smith at ...11827...
Fri Jun 7 21:28:55 EDT 2013

I've used snort+barnyard on OS X successfully for some time.

But now barnyard2 on launch takes up 90%+ of my CPU cycles until I kill it, and has stopped stuffing anything into my snort postgres database. I've rebuilt barnyard2 and snort from their latest gits/tarballs, but this problem persists across versions.

As far as I can tell, snort is running just fine, although I'm unable to parse the unified2 files snort.u2.* without a working barnyard and postgres.

The MWE is simply the command

$ barnyard2 -c /usr/local/etc/barnyard2.conf

using the default config file from https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2

Also, to get this to autogen/autoconf on OS X, one must move the configure file to to configure.ac, then replace AM_CONFIG_HEADER with AC_CONFIG_HEADERS (that's AC_*S, not AM_*).

Any help tracking down the problem would be greatly appreciated.