[Snort-users] Continuous packet streaming on boot of CentOS 6.3 64 bit

Russ Combs rcombs at ...1935...
Tue Jun 11 05:09:20 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM, Mayur Patil <ram.nath241089 at ...11827...>wrote:

> Problem is that when I connect cable I am able to ping to machine but
> still unable to ssh.
>
> When I try to do ssh from other machine, it says connection refused.
>
> Now I connect the cable and reboot system. When the system starts, it
> automatically starts
>
> checking packets i.e. packet dump mode.
>
> I think Snort script is preventing CentOS to boot as GUI as well as CLI.

Most likely you system is just slow to respond to your input because it is
bogged down dumping packets.

> I am pretty sure that this is Snort script problem.

Yes, and the solution is to disable the script or fix it as I explained
earlier by adding a snort.conf to Snort's command line.  Adding a conf will
allow Snort to inspect the traffic and output any alerts instead of dumping
all the packets.

> Now what to do ??

Until you get Snort configured to do what you want, I suggest disabling the
script from start up.  That depends on how you enabled the script.