[Snort-users] reputation preprocessor and IDS

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Tue Jun 4 16:04:56 EDT 2013

On 6/4/2013 15:36, JJC wrote:
> Yes, the IP Rep preprocessor works in passive mode just like it does in inline
> mode, other than drop of course.

correct on the drop method... we don't even use it :)

i'll have to dig and see if there is/was a bug that was fixed from 2.9.4.1 to
the latest snort versions... i whitelisted a CIDR block and they still generate
alerts... specifically, we saw alerts on 129:20 when snort was reloading after
setting the CIDR block in the whitelist file and bouncing snort with a complete
exit and startup... we've also seen 128:4 when sshing into that sensor on a
non-standard port but we DO have that non-standard port listed in the ssh config
section of snort.conf... these alerts happen for only a short time and then
snort seems to settle down and stop issuing them even though those same
connections are still active or being terminated and restarted again...

i've just tested again an hour after the above alerts were logged and am seeing
the same alerts as noted above... the traffic is very light compared to what
many systems see... it is only a 100M internal LAN... there /may/ be some
swapping going on on that test sensor... i'm seeing 7M of swap space currently
used but i really don't think that that is getting in the way here...