[Snort-users] About Shared Object Snort Rules

Patrick Mullen pmullen at ...1935...
Thu Jul 25 12:48:37 EDT 2013

Mayur,

Thanks for your query.  Shared Object rules are quite powerful and a
distinguishing feature of snort.  With them, you can do *anything* you can
do in C, so advanced detections are possible.  Of course, coding in
vulnerabilities is also possible, so you need to be careful about what
you're doing.

I wrote up a quick tutorial a few years ago and blogged about it here --
http://vrt-blog.snort.org/2010/02/introduction-to-shared-object-rules.html

As described in that blog post, there is an SO Rules Generator that takes
care of a lot of the grunt work for you.  The generator has also been
improved since the time of that blog post to make your life even easier.
 So write a base snort rule to get yourself started, plug it into the
generator, then add your custom detection into the eval function.

That said, I spend a lot of time here helping people be creative about text
rules to avoid writing shared object rules.  When you see something as
powerful as a shared object rule, it's hard to not see it as the solution
to everything (because technically it really can solve everything).  But
oftentimes, you can be creative with text rules and make detection that is
"good enough" to detect malicious traffic and avoid benign traffic and
while it might not be an exact match of what you're looking for, it's
satisfactory for finding traffic that at least requires much closer
inspection to determine malicious intent.  So, I spend a lot of time
telling people they can't write a shared object rule and incur processing
overhead in snort and a lot of code review and QA time and instead convince
them to write text rules.

Good luck,

~Patrick

--