[Snort-users] Cisco Sourcefire

Joel Esler jesler at ...1935...
Tue Jul 23 15:52:04 EDT 2013

All —

Okay, I am going to try and respond to everyone here, so bear with me.

We had an event here today where I was busy, that’s what took me so long.  So if anyone is running around their office sweating waiting for some kind of statement from me or Marty other than the blog post I put up this morning:

http://blog.snort.org/2013/07/a-continued-commitment-to-open-source.html

So, I’ll try and answer some of the emails in one thread and hopefully everyone will feel the same that I feel.

On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Jefferson, Shawn <Shawn.Jefferson at ...14448...> wrote:

> It may not end up being that bad.  I was worried that Rapid7’s acquisition of Metasploit would kill that product, but it hasn’t really.  Changed it, for sure, but it hasn’t killed it.  I am a bit more worried about how the Cisco acquisition of Sourcefire will affect the VRT though.  I suspect Snort will (and has to because of GPL?) remain open source however.

Bottom line up front:  Snort will remain open.  Cisco is committed to OpenSource.

This includes but is not limited to :).  ClamAV, RazorBack, Snort, etc.

On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Y M <snort at ...15979...> wrote:

Another thing is the Snort (SnortCP) and Sourcefire certifications and certification holders. Are these certifications deprecated already?

Education is very important to Cisco.  As you know Cisco has many education programs and certifications already (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, etc).  As for what new things will be announced after the final merger has cleared, I’ll leave that to Cisco.

On Jul 23, 2013, at 1:31 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at ...14940...> wrote:
> On 7/23/2013 12:38, Ayodele Okeowo wrote:
>> This is suicide for Sourcefire. Sourcefire is better as an entity itself.
>
> greed for $$$ drives all to suicide at times... the shareholders of both
> companies seem to be of the same mind and wanting more $$$ even if it means
> death to the company and/or products...

As stated earlier, we aren’t stopping our commitment to Open Source, and the community is the same as it ever was, if not better.  See OpenDaylight.

On Jul 23, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Y M <snort at ...15979...> wrote:

> What happens also to rules release, community contributions, Barnyard, PulledPork?

Nothing.  Same as yesterday

On Jul 23, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Peter Bates <peter.bates at ...15381...> wrote:

> The development of Snort would still be governed by the open source
> licence in use, though, surely?

GPLv2.  Same as it ever was.

--
Joel Esler