[Snort-users] high packet loss - low throughput

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Fri Jul 19 23:17:36 EDT 2013

On 7/19/2013 15:51, Michal Purzynski wrote:
> 64 bit of course. It's Ubuntu 12.04.2, everything updated, etc.

and i can't help it but this has been nipping at me ever since i read it the
first time...

1. why "of course"??

2. i would try the 32bit load and see what happens there... 64bit stuff takes at
least twice the space and may be half as fast depending on factors...

[anecdote: we have seen that 64bit doesn't offer an advantages in our
environments... at best there's twice as much resources needed for roughtly the
same load and half the speed as well... we've just not been able to truly
justify the 64bit builds of the firewall we work with but for some reason
everyone thinks that 64bit is better than the tried, tested and true 32bit stuff...]

with that stated, i would seriously consider testing the 32bit load of SO and
ensure that it is at least using the PAE kernel so that all that memory is
recognized and used...

what can it hurt, really? ;)