[Snort-users] Snort Tests?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Wed Jul 17 13:06:45 EDT 2013

On 7/17/2013 10:02, mulhern wrote:
> Supposing you have Snort up and running is their any set of available standard
> tests that you can run to see if it is actually working?

you mean like alerting on any traffic? sure... we use the following rules in a
file named local-test.rules... just like local.rules, put it in place with the
proper permissions, add it to your snort.conf and restart snort... only let it
run a minute because it can generate thousands of alerts per second depending on
your traffic and your machine's capabilities... then edit your snort.conf to
comment it out or remove it and restart your snort...

----- snip -----
#
# The rules in this file are only to test a snort installation to see if it is
seeing any traffic at all.
# These rules should NOT be used all the time. Once tested and working, this
rule file should be commented
# out in your snort.conf so that it is not used.
#
#------------------
# LOCAL TEST RULES
#------------------

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"tcp traffic inbound";
classtype:tcp-connection; sid:1; rev:1;)
alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"tcp traffic outbound";
classtype:tcp-connection; sid:2; rev:1;)
alert ip $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ip traffic inbound";
classtype:unknown; sid:3; rev:1;)
alert ip $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"ip traffic outbound";
classtype:unknown; sid:4; rev:1;)
alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"udp traffic inbound";
classtype:misc-activity; sid:5; rev:1;)
alert udp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"udp traffic outbound";
classtype:misc-activity; sid:6; rev:1;)
alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"icmp traffic inbound";
classtype:icmp-event; sid:7; rev:1;)
alert icmp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"icmp traffic outbound";
classtype:icmp-event; sid:8; rev:1;)