[Snort-users] a few questions...

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Fri Jul 5 19:53:16 EDT 2013

On 7/5/2013 18:35, Russ Combs wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at ...14940...> wrote:
[trim]
>     1. i do have 14 compiled so dynamic rules files in my lib directory. snort
>     does recognize them and appears to load them as can be seen in the execution
>     output attached below. the question is why does snort report "0 Dynamic
>     rules" when it is initializing the rule chains? there /are/ 72 rules stubs
>     in the so_rules directory and they were created from the compiled rules by
>     snort's --dump-dynamic-rules option... did i miss a change in the
>     so_rules/src/Makefile other than changing the SNORT_VERSION entry?
>

> Those are dynamically activated rules as opposed to dynamically loaded rules.
> Check here:
>
> http://manual.snort.org/node29.html#SECTION00421000000000000000
> http://manual.snort.org/node29.html#SECTION00426000000000000000

ahh! ok... perhaps that header can be changed to say "Dynamically Activated
rules" to clarify this? it might also be a nice idea to place an additional
category in the "XXX Snort rules read" section that states how many "Dynamically
loaded rules" there are in that total of rules read (and processed)??

>     2. when i terminate snort, the "Packet I/O Totals" count of processed
>     doesn't make sense. it says 4054 received and analyzed but the "Breakdown by
>     protocol" says there were 4057. where did the extra three packets come from?
>     it also reports 125 "Other" packets. how can i find out what they are or were?
>
> They are certain rebuilt packets counted here:
>
>       S5 G 2:            3 (  0.074%)

ya know? i don't recall if i even saw that entry... sometimes it is kinda of
hard to break out the counts properly... one would normally think that they can
add up that whole column to come up with the same total but that's definitely
not the proper thing to do...

can you provide a hint on what is considered as "Other" packets that my short
run turned up? 125 of them makes me curious as to what is going on on that box
that i'm not aware of ;)

> Check here:
>
> http://manual.snort.org/node9.html#SECTION00273000000000000000
>
> I guess that should also state that packets flushed at shutdown are counted
> there as well.

that would be a good idea, as well ;)