[Snort-users] Testing Snort

Josh Bitto jbitto at ...16055...
Wed Jan 30 15:44:05 EST 2013

Ok I see what you're saying....I have a couple of more questions.

1. The rules update....I obtained the oinkmaster code and put it in. It has the option to update at certain time every 12 hours for example.....Does it automatically do that or do I have to buy a subscription for that to actually work? I know the definitions will be 30 days old for just a regular registered user, but still.

2. Back to the rules search....ok I searched a couple of SID numbers and it came back as "this rule as been deprecated and placed into deleted.rules"
Should I suppress that or is my definitions outdated?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Hoel [mailto:jthoel at ...11827...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:10 PM
To: Josh Bitto
Cc: Justin Knox; Snort Users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Testing Snort

So if you have snort set to output to syslog or alert_fast you can see which rules fired in a plain text file. Then you can look up the rules in the snort.rules file (or the *.rules, if you don't combine them with Pulled Pork) and you can see why a rule fired; what it was looking for, the CVE, etc.

But there's no real wiki or DB of this rule fires because of that..
the info for each rule is normally in the rule itself.