[Snort-users] Testing Snort

Josh Bitto jbitto at ...16055...
Wed Jan 30 12:28:35 EST 2013

Well I have snort running on a test lab to see how well it actually runs. I figured out my problem that I had in pfsense. I had to bridge my WAN and LAN together for snort to actually start. That being said I can see alerts and that all works. Now my real work is to be started and test to make sure that snort runs ok with our network. So I want to similate bad traffic so I can so my boss and say hey this works let's use it...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Hoel [mailto:jthoel at ...11827...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:25 AM
To: Josh Bitto
Cc: Snort Users
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Testing Snort

If you want to see if it alerts on packets in general, you can load PCAPs from a number of sources and read them through to see if the rules fire.  If you want to see that it's seeing network traffic and alerting, you can make a local rule for something and then send that traffic and see if that fires.

Otherwise, what are you trying to test?