[Snort-users] Testing Snort

Jeremy Hoel jthoel at ...11827...
Wed Jan 30 12:24:59 EST 2013

If you want to see if it alerts on packets in general, you can load
PCAPs from a number of sources and read them through to see if the
rules fire.  If you want to see that it's seeing network traffic and
alerting, you can make a local rule for something and then send that
traffic and see if that fires.

Otherwise, what are you trying to test?