[Snort-users] var or ipvar?

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Mon Jan 28 16:58:28 EST 2013

On 1/28/2013 15:39, Y M wrote:
>  From Snort 2.9.4 release notes:
>
> "Consolidation of IPv6 -- now only a single build supports both IPv4 & IPv6, and
> removal of the IPv4 "only" code paths."
>
> Does this mean that ipvar should support both IPv4 and IPv6 and var is
> deprecated/ no longer needed? Or am I totally off topic here?

this is exactly what i'm talking about...

> In previous installations of Snort, we had ipvar and var both at the same config
> file and we did not see any problems, however, we didn't have IPv6 enabled at
> that point of time.

and especially this where both were used at one time... we didn't have to worry
then because we didn't have a working IPv6 in our package... but now we have
people taking it onto themselves to forcibly upgrade snort because they can't
get any new rules and they are under the mistaken idea that they /have to have/
new rules all the time... like the old ones are going to go stale and stink up
the place or something... so they go thru everything to get a working binary in
our development package and install it only to find it falling over or not
logging anything and it is starting to look like it is coming down to the use of
var and/or ipvar in some cases...