[Snort-users] var or ipvar?

Nicholas Bogart nickybzoss at ...11827...
Mon Jan 28 15:43:38 EST 2013

Here is a snippet from the most current manual.  Which I checked after my
last email.

"IPs may be specified individually, in a list, as a CIDR block, or any
combination of the three. IP variables should be
specified using ’ipvar’ instead of ’var’. Using ’var’ for an IP variable is
still allowed for backward compatibility, but it
will be deprecated in a future release." -  Snort Manual, November 2012

So if I read that it is currently still allowed and older builds shouldn't
break if it is still used.  As I said before some of the older builds ipvar
hinged on if IPv6 was enabled when it was installed or not.  So if it
wasn't then that might cause an issue.

Nick