[Snort-users] Real Time Alert and Variables

Greg Williams gwillia5 at ...15920...
Sun Jan 27 15:19:46 EST 2013

Nick, I use Splunk to do this.  I feed Splunk the fast alerts and the either send emails or run scripts off specific matched criteria. Example shutdown a port based on more than 5 outbound ZeroAccess alerts in 5 minutes.

Nicholas Horton <fivetenets at ...14399...> wrote:

Is this referring to alert, drop, log, pass, etc?

If so are you saying its possible that I can create a type to have to execute a command to the shell based on a specific alert?

This is what I'm looking for.

For example if rule 1:2924 gets triggered I not only want to alert me about it but actually kick of a script to so something in case it's in the middle of the night or I'm simply at lunch.  To automate certain known alerts that are harmful and could spread though the LAN. Maybe I would even shut off the switch port that the device is connected to if it has virus.

Does snort have this ability?  Can barnyard2?  I like using abilities of a given program and would prefer not adding another layer of complexity to the equation such as swatch but if that is what I need ill use it.

What is the best practice for having scripts kick off to the shell based on specific alerts?

Thanks again
Nick