[Snort-users] CPU Affinity

Livio Ricciulli livio at ...15149...
Sat Jan 26 01:05:16 EST 2013

According to our empirical measurements using PF-RING (if that's what
you are using), DON'T use CPU affinity; DON'T bind CPUs. Let the Linux
scheduler do what it wishes..
The definite proof is to compare identical runs using different setups
on your hardware, with your rules, with your traffic..
However, i would bet that what I recommended above will win..

Livio.
On 1/25/2013 1:59 PM, Craig Merchant wrote:

> We have a Snort sensor that runs 28 instances.  Their CPU utilization
> tends average between 25% and 95%+.  I've read opinions both ways for
> setting CPU affinity.  What are the benefits/drawbacks of setting CPU
> affinity?
>
> Thx.
>

> Craig

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnnow-d2d