[Snort-users] Snort and buffering of packets

Knut Borg knutborg at ...11827...
Thu Jan 24 07:40:27 EST 2013

Thanks for your reply.

My initial thought was to create a rule which detected a JPEG header and
reported a detection to a Unix socket (http://manual.snort.org/node7.html)
by using  "-A unsock". I would then write a program that listened to Snort.
When Snort sent an alert for detecting the JPEG header, my program would
find the JPEG file/TCP session Snort stored/delayed in RAM.

As far as I understand flowbits, flowbits can be used in conjuction with
the Stream5 preprocessor (
http://manual.snort.org/node66.html#stream5_section). I'm wondering if this
solution will only store a copy of the JPEG file and not delay the original
TCP session?

Thanks in advance
Knut