[Snort-users] 'make' Snort to compile my own preprocessor

Alex Adamos alexthakidadam at ...125...
Tue Jan 15 16:00:37 EST 2013

          '' To do what you want would require adding the appropriate C++ rules to configure.in''
So, is this frustrating? Could you help me with this? Except this step, the others don't seem so much difficult..or am i not seeing this clear :p ???!!! Nevertheless, i would like to try and compile it and see what happens. If the compilation succeeds but in the end i'm not capable to make my preprocessor work, i will consider the Starter Kit option.
thanks.
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:36:06 -0500
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] 'make' Snort to compile my own preprocessor
From: vroemer at ...1935...
To: alexthakidadam at ...125...
CC: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Alex, the error you are receiving is due to trying to use C++. The Snort build system is only configured to compile C. To do what you want would require adding the appropriate C++ rules to configure.in, however writing Snort preprocessors in C++ would be a fairly optimistic for someone new to C/C++.

I would recommend you start with the "Dynamic Prerocessor Starter Kit" (http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads/dynamic-preprocessor-starter-kit/). This package provides a "bare-bones" preprocessor that can be compiled outside of the Snort root-source directory.