[Snort-users] 'make' Snort to compile my own preprocessor

Victor Roemer vroemer at ...1935...
Tue Jan 15 14:36:06 EST 2013

Hi Alex, the error you are receiving is due to trying to use C++. The Snort
build system is only configured to compile C. To do what you want would
require adding the appropriate C++ rules to *configure.in*, however writing
Snort preprocessors in C++ would be a fairly optimistic for someone new to
C/C++.

I would recommend you start with the "Dynamic Prerocessor Starter Kit" (
http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads/dynamic-preprocessor-starter-kit/).
This package provides a "bare-bones" preprocessor that can be compiled
outside of the Snort root-source directory.