[Snort-users] Way to generate alerts?

Matthew Van Gent matthew at ...16037...
Thu Jan 10 16:52:22 EST 2013

Hello,

I apologize if this is the wrong spot to send this email, I am new to snort. I have used autosnort(https://github.com/da667/Autosnort ) on my Dell Poweredge T310 server running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. I have configured port mirroring on my external connection and confirmed with wireshark that it is working, however, I am not receiving any generated alerts from snort. Is there a way to generate alerts guaranteed? I have nmap on an external machine, and when I run a nmap "attack" against this IP I do not receive any alerts via Snort Report. I am trying to narrow down if snort is misconfigured, barnyard2 is not functioning, or something else entirely.

Any information on this is welcome.

Thanks,

Matthew Van Gent
IT Assistant