[Snort-users] Persistent problems with rule updates for Registerd Users

Jason jason at ...5028...
Thu Jan 3 11:29:29 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Michael Steele <michaels at ...9077...> wrote:

> I have a complete set of configuration files in my snort executable, I have
> a complete set of configuration files in the rules tarball, and yet I’m
> still required to download yet another snort.conf in order to get the
> current one.

Yes. You are expected to manage your own configuration. You are
expected to make changes at every revision and to actively do so for
each rules release too. This isn't FW or AV and requires a but of
investment on your part to be successful.

> The problem of configuration files and rule distribution needs to be
> addressed, and fixed.

Where is the problem? You are not the only user and your snowflake
isn't the only unique one. There are others that need the
configuration file without the rules. Both revision separately and
many manage their own. Is it too much of a burden to expect users of
advanced software handling advanced things to manage minor revisions
and configuration changes?