[Snort-users] Persistent problems with rule updates for Registerd Users

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Thu Jan 3 09:32:06 EST 2013

I agree, it doesn't help. But in all reality it is someone's job to make
sure the end users are getting current configuration files. I think the
rules and configuration files are key components, and If the end users have
to constantly second guess the validity of these files that are being
released, that's a problem.

This issue has been brought up multiple times over a long period of time,
and each time the problem is supposed to have been corrected. Someone takes
the time to add a MD5 checksum to the file. I don't see what the possible
problem could be to include up-to-date file in the packages.

I have a complete set of configuration files in my snort executable, I have
a complete set of configuration files in the rules tarball, and yet I'm
still required to download yet another snort.conf in order to get the
current one.

The problem of configuration files and rule distribution needs to be
addressed, and fixed.

Best regards,

Michael...