[Snort-users] Using a var in the conf and local rules

Lay, James james.lay at ...15009...
Mon Feb 25 15:06:11 EST 2013

From: honeybadger at ...15978... [mailto:honeybadger at ...15978...]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 10:51 AM
To: Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Using a var in the conf and local rules

Hey all,

I am adding scanners for 600+ suspect IPs in a text file.
Ok adding in include snort.var
Adding var IP_RULES
Then tcp any any - > $IP_RULES any (msg:"suspect IP detected; sid 4525;)
I would like if the alert would tell me which IP it found.
Usually I would use a content but this is different.
Any know how to set this up?

Thanks,

Wonder if adding these to the reputation blacklist would do the trick?  Not sure.

James