[Snort-users] preprocessor sfportscan does not generate alerts

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...14940...
Mon Feb 25 14:42:55 EST 2013

On 2/25/2013 09:55, johnny.venter wrote:
> I need clarification on preprocessors and rules.  In the example, below, the preprocessor for sfportscan is "enabled" and it writes an output log to a certain directory when I detects a portscan.  But Snort will *NOT* generate an event unless there is a rule enabled for a portscan???
>
> I have a similar situation where sfportscan is enabled and writes to a log directory.  It successfully detects various Nmap/Scapy port scans.  But Snort never generates an alert in the u2 file.
>
> Is there way to generate an alert without creating specific port scan rule?  If not, this would seem redundant because sfportscan already successfully detects portscans.

as i tried to note, below, sfportscan does NOT detect /all/ port scans... for
those that it does not detect, rules may be necessary to catch them if they are
that important to your network's detection/protection policies...