[Snort-users] network interface

Josh Bitto jbitto at ...16055...
Tue Feb 19 12:17:04 EST 2013

Are you running the test on the snort server or using a machine apart from snort?

From: Muteb Alqahtani [mailto:saudicpp at ...125...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:49 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] network interface

Hi guys,

I'm experimenting with snort recently and I have faced a problem with configuring it to sniff the network properly. I have read so many tutorial and none of them helped. well I have a sub network with the address 192.168.190.0/24 and I configured snort.conf to have that address. however, when i start snort with the command /usr/local/snort/bin/snort and attack the actual server 'snort server', it responds to that attack but when I use /usr/local/snort/bin/snort  -u snort -g snort -c /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -i eth0 and attack other machines in the network, nothing happened. I believed all these attacks out dated in metasploit which should be detected. any idea how to configure snort properly to sniff that interface?

thanks