[Snort-users] network interface

Muteb Alqahtani saudicpp at ...125...
Tue Feb 19 11:48:39 EST 2013

Hi guys,

I'm experimenting with snort recently and I have faced a problem with configuring it to sniff the network properly. I have read so many tutorial and none of them helped. well I have a sub network with the address 192.168.190.0/24 and I configured snort.conf to have that address. however, when i start snort with the command /usr/local/snort/bin/snort and attack the actual server 'snort server', it responds to that attack but when I use /usr/local/snort/bin/snort  -u snort -g snort -c /usr/local/snort/etc/snort.conf -i eth0 and attack other machines in the network, nothing happened. I believed all these attacks out dated in metasploit which should be detected. any idea how to configure snort properly to sniff that interface?

thanks