[Snort-users] Snort CPU usage

Josh Bitto jbitto at ...16055...
Tue Feb 19 11:22:28 EST 2013

Ok let me throw a wrench at that....I'll be using proxmox to create virtual machines thus virtual nics.....Will that matter?

From: Mike Miller [mailto:mike at ...16027...]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 5:01 PM
To: Josh Bitto
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort CPU usage

I believe they solved the problem by dodging it. Rather than multi-threading snort, they use PF_RING to get access closer to the hardware, and does so in a way that multiple threads running the same config will get access to separate packets (I'm still coming up to speed on it).

There are also PF_RING aware NICS that greatly improve processing....and I believe Suricata is multi-threaded, but I haven't used it yet, myself.