[Snort-users] Snort and my VLANs

Ayodele Okeowo aymacro at ...11827...
Fri Feb 15 08:54:16 EST 2013

Josh,

YM is right, you will need a distributed IDS to do this, however, what you
can do is, place your Sensor in a specific VLAN, and then assign that VLAN
to the egress interface of your Core switch or edge router before traffic
cross over to the Internet. This way you would be able to sense and drop
any packets.

And if you want to capture/sniff packets per VLAN, create a port mirroring
on a VLAN, then assign that VLAN to the interface where your IDS is plugged
to. All traffic will be mirrored to this interface so you can monitor them
on your IDS.

Are your devices Ciscos or Juniper or mixed environment?

Ayo