[Snort-users] Snort and my VLANs

Josh Bitto jbitto at ...16055...
Thu Feb 14 19:06:14 EST 2013

Nevermind…..I figured what I was doing wrong…..I had everything working correctly and I can trigger events….I just installed a port scanner on one of the machines in a VLAN subnet and it triggered…..I’m good to go :D

From: Y M [mailto:snort at ...15979...]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:08 PM
To: Josh Bitto; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort and my VLANs

In this case you would need to place sensors between vlans for vlan-to-vlan communication/detection since the traffic will not be reaching the edge WAN or router interface and Snort will not be seeing the traffic. However, if a BYOD is, for example, infected with a malware which may be attempting to communicate to an external IP, then it has to go through the edge router and hence get detected by Snort.

This is where a distributed sensors deployment architecture would come in handy. I would suggest starting with, if you have one, the servers vlan to monitor any suspicious activity going to your servers.

I hope my answer makes some sense.

YM