[Snort-users] Snort Noob Question

Jeremy Golden goldenjc97 at ...11827...
Wed Feb 13 13:40:18 EST 2013

Hello: I am new to Snort and I have a question. I was given the assignment to install snort and get it up and running on my machine. I have done so, but I now need to launch some covert attacks on my system, analyze the data received form the IDS, develop a rule for a particular attack, and demonstrate that it works; and write up a report.Can anyone help me with what covert attacks to launch? And what kind of rules I would need to develop? I'm trying to get the hang of this stuff and no help from the professor.

I really appreciate any help,

Jeremy