[Snort-users] Snort and Barnyard2

Y M snort at ...15979...
Thu Feb 7 00:47:12 EST 2013

Sorry, did not see the second part of your question. The answer would be yes. Snort tags all the information into a unified2 log (ip addresses, timestamps, etc.) , part of barnyard2 porcesses understands this format and the database schema, parses the data from the log files and dump the data into the database, in an efficient manner. In other words, "the data in question", in unified2 logs and the database are the same, but the structure/formatting/representation of the data is different. YM
 From: snort at ...15979...
To: jbitto at ...16055...; beenph at ...11827...
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 04:36:41 +0000
CC: barnyard2-users at ...14071...; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort and Barnyard2

Yes it can be done. Try the following query:

 SELECT
               signature.sig_name AS 'Signature Name',
               event.timestamp AS 'Timestamp',
               INET_NTOA(iphdr.ip_src) AS 'Source IP',
               INET_NTOA(iphdr.ip_dst) AS 'Destination IP',
               sig_class.sig_class_name AS 'Signature Class'
FROM
              signature LEFT JOIN event ON (signature.sig_id=event.signature)
              LEFT JOIN sig_class ON (signature.sig_class_id=sig_class.sig_class_id)
              LEFT JOIN iphdr ON (event.cid=iphdr.cid)
WHERE
              signature.sig_sid=<xxx>;

In this case, you would replace the "<xxx>" with your own signature sid that you are looking for. You can get rid of the WHERE clause to perform the same behavior on all the data, but that would be an overkill to your db server depending on the amount of data you have.

Perhaps not the most efficient query, but it will return data and columns in the following format:

Signature Name, Timestamp, Source IP, Destination IP, Signature Class

Please note that these are fancy formatting (the "AS 'Your favorite column name'" part in the query) of the column names for easier reading. Beenph, jump in if I am doing something wrong in my query here :)

YM
> From: jbitto at ...16055...
> To: beenph at ...11827...; snort at ...15979...
> CC: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net; barnyard2-users at ...14071...
> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 13:21:41 -0800
> Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort and Barnyard2
>
> Ok so if I wanted to run a query where I wanted the src and dst IP plus view event and signature tables as well....Can that be done?
>
> Also....would running these query's have the data line up with the actual date and times that the event actually occurred?

Snort-users list archive: